Inhalant Statistics and Reports
So, how prevalent is Inhalant Abuse in the United States?
- Over 2.6 million children, aged 12 – 17, use an Inhalant each year to get high.
- 1 in 4 students in America has intentionally abused a common household product to get high by the time they reach the eighth grade.
- Inhalants tend to be the drug that is tried first by children.
- “Sniffing” and “huffing” can begin at age 10 or younger.
- 59% of children are aware of friends huffing at age 12.
- Inhalants are the fourth most-abused substance after alcohol, tobacco, and marijuana.
- The number of lives claimed by Inhalant Abuse each year is unknown because these deaths often are attributed to other causes.
These facts are stunning. We must join together as a community of concerns parents, friends, family and even the daily passer by, to stop inhalant abuse before it starts.
To learn more about what you can do to help in this fight against inhalant abuse, click here for more resources about programs and additional information.
Also you can read News reports from around the U.S.