Strike Out Inhalant Abuse
The Alliance for Consumer Education’s Strike Out Inhalant Abuse campaign was established in 2008 and has been growing ever since. ACE has worked with an array of Major and Minor League Baseball Teams to help spread inhalant abuse prevention messaging.
Each game and partnership is different, but some aspects from the Strike Out Inhalant Abuse program include:
- Assemblies and presentations with school aged children; hosted by the participating team, where players and mascots go out into schools to show, as role models, why abusing inhalants is dangerous
- Inhalant Abuse Prevention Essay Responses from high school students. Students respond to a variety of prompts on why saying no to inhalants is important or what they may tell a younger sibling about inhalant abuse.
- Tickets to an “Awareness Night” game to all students who attend the assembly or complete an essay
- Strike Out Inhalant Abuse Awareness Night
- Baseball game attended by students, families, and ACE
- ACE materials and resources offered to fans free of charge at ACE sponsored table in the concourse
- Pre-game presentation on the dangers of inhalant abuse
- Pre-game and during the game PSAs that air between innings
- Pre-game questions on the video board to help fans learn more about inhalants
- Strike Out Inhalants Pledge read aloud by the stadium or singed by students at the ACE booth
- Be an ACE Superhero Coloring Contest
- Radio interviews with ACE members, doctors, or families affected by inhalant abuse
- In stadium media including a Strike Out Inhalant Abuse banner in the concourse
Summer 2014 Schedule of Strike Out Inhalant Abuse Games
This summer ACE will be working with the following teams and organizations to spread awareness on inhalant abuse.
Check back for the 2015 Season Dates. Scroll below for game updates from the 2014 Strike Out Inhalant Abuse Campaign.
June 13th- Dayton Dragons; Dayton, Ohio:
Check out the summary of the game here and view pictures from the night, including an honorary first pitch from Chris in memory of his brother, Matthew.
ACE worked with a local Dayton family to remember their son, Matthew, that passed away due to inhalant abuse. It was Matt’s goal to help educate others on the dangers of inhalant abuse and it was in his memory that ACE and the Millard family helped spread awareness and education on this addiction in Dayton, Ohio.
Check out the PSA done by Dragon Jeff Gelalich on helping to Strike Out Inhalant Abuse! Thank you Jeff and the Dayton Dragons!
July 26th- Bowie Baysox; Bowie, Maryland
Superhero Night! ACE worked with Batman, from Superhero for Kids to help spread awareness and prevention. A summary of the game including video of Batman’s first pitch along with game pictures can be found here. View the press release and game announcement.
August 8th- Schaumburg Boomers; Schaumburg, IL
ACE will be working with the Midwest Aerosol Association to help spread awareness on inhalant abuse. ACE Board Member, police officer, and father, Jeff Williams, will be present at the game to share his story of losing his son to inhalant abuse.
August 16th- River City Rascals; St. Peters, MO-
Congressman Blaine Luetkemeyer will be present at the game to throw out the first pitch! Luetkemeyer will address the fans during a pre-game presentation to discuss inhalant abuse prevention. ACE and Luetkemeyer will honor Officer Sarah Brueggeman, St. Peters Police Department, for her efforts in helping spread substance abuse prevention education to Ft. Zumwalt School District students.
ACE worked with the Rascals and the Ft. Zumwalt Schools to have high school health students respond to essay prompts on inhalant abuse prevention. To view some of the responses click here.
Please come out to one of the games listed above and learn more about this important initiative. For questions or more information contact ACE at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Strike Out Inhalant Abuse Locations
Check out the map below to see where ACE has been and the teams ACE has worked with in the past.
Want to spread inhalant abuse awareness in your community through a Strike Out Inhalants game? Contact ACE at email@example.com with your location and idea and we’ll be in touch!