National Inhalants & Poisons Awareness Week
March 15-21, 2015
What is National Inhalants and Poisons Awareness Week?
National Inhalants and Poisons Awareness Week, also known as NIPAW, is an annual, community level program that takes place the third week in March to highlight understanding and education around inhalant abuse prevention and poison prevention.
Developed in 1992 by the National Inhalant Prevention Coalition, National Inhalants & Poisons Awareness Week is an extension of National Poison Prevention Week.
Why take part in National Inhalants & Poisons Awareness Week?
A child is 50% less likely to try an inhalant if an adult has spoken to them about the dangers of inhalant abuse.
Talk. They will listen.
This is a week to engage your children, students, employees, and consumer base around the issue of inhalant abuse, in order to spread awareness and education to help prevent product abuse.
This year, ACE will be promoting NIPAW through the below daily themes. Click on each theme to get more information, suggested tweets, pictures, etc. to share with your network.
- Sunday, March 15- Have the Talk
- Monday, March 16- Signs & Symptoms
- Tuesday, March 17- Resource Day
- Wednesday, March 18th- In Memory
- Thursday, March 19th- Recovery Day
- Friday, March 20th- Facts & Figures
- Saturday, March 21- Prevention365
- Throughout the week ACE will also be spreading awareness on Poison Prevention
How to Get Involved
From hosting an event, to sharing a blog post, or even tweeting about the week, there are a variety of ways you can take part in National Inhalants & Poisons Awareness Week this year. Complete the check list below to make sure you are prepared!
- Take the “Talk to Your Child” Pledge to see your pledge appear on the Events Map
- Have you and your child take the “Strike Out Inhalant Abuse Pledge“
- Check out the resources that can help you have the inhalant abuse prevention discussion with your child.
- Like ACE on Facebook and Follow ACE on Twitter for the latest updates and information during National Inhalants & Poisons Awarness Week
- Teacher, counselor, or community leader? “Share What You’re Doing” and we’ll highlight your activity plus you’ll receive free hardy copy resources!
- Download the National Inhalants & Poisons Awareness Week Information Kit
- March 15-21 is National Inhalants & Poisons Awareness Week, learn about the week at inhalant.org/nipaw #NIPAW
- In honor of #NIPAW talk to your kids this week about safety with #inhalants and #poisonprevention
- #inhalant abuse is deliberately sniffing fumes or gases from common household products #NIPAW
- Did you know that 59% of kids at age 12 are aware of their friends huffing? #inhalants #NIPAW
- Did you know people can die the very first time they use inhalants, known as Sudden Sniffing Death Syndrome #NIPAW #inhalants
- Keep products in their original containers in order to #preventpoison #NIPAW #NPPW
- Store products correctly and away from children to #preventpoison #NIPAW #NPPW